Certificate of Authority

Sales Tax Vendor Registration (Certificate of Authority)


If you sell taxable tangible personal property or taxable services in New York State, you must register with the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance in order to obtain a Certificate of Authority before opening your business. The Certificate of Authority gives you the right to collect sales tax on your taxable sales and to issue and accept most New York State sales tax exemption certificates.

"Tangible personal property" means any kind of physical personal property that has a material existence and is perceptible to the human senses. Sales of tangible personal property and certain services are subject to sales tax when delivered in New York State. Taxable goods and services include: 

  • tangible personal property (unless specifically exempt);
  • gas, electricity, refrigeration and steam, and telephone service;
  • selected services;
  • food and beverages sold by restaurants, taverns, and caterers;
  • hotel occupancy; and
  • certain admission charges and dues

This regulation applies to sales or services provided from your own home as well.

For more detailed information about what sales are subject to tax please contact us at (877) 997-6925

Contact Us

Address: 204 25th Street Ste 205

Brooklyn, NY 11232


Phone: (877) 997-6925

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Subscription Now

Get a Quote

Call Now